Covington is the largest city in Northern Kentucky andÂ known for the re-development of its riverfront and skyline and its strong economy. Covington has the largest number of National Register historic districts (16) for a city its size in the State of Kentucky.
Covington is well known for many of its historic neighborhoods: Licking-Riverside, MainStrasse, and Wallace Woods. Our downtown commercial area is home to many historical buildings. Incentives are available for those wishing to restore older buildings and there are countless on-going, successful preservation projects in Covington.
This vital urban community, across the Ohio River from downtown Cincinnati, is within 600 miles of 60% of the United States population, 58% of the country's manufacturing firms, and 59% of the nation's purchasing power.
The City of Covington is located on the northeastern portion of Kenton County, Kentucky.
The city is bordered on the north by the Ohio River; on the east by the Licking River, which separates Covington from Newport, Kentucky, in Campbell County; to the west by the cities of Ludlow, Park Hills, and Ft. Wright, in Kenton County; and to the south by the cities of Independence, Taylor Mill, Edgewood, Erlanger, and the rural areas of Kenton County.
The area of Covington, Cincinnati, and Newport comprise the urban core of a nine county metropolitan region known as the Primary Metropolitan Statistical Area (PMSA). This region covers approximately 2,700 square miles and includes counties in Kentucky, Ohio, and Indiana.
Covington is the largest of the 42 cities that comprise the Northern Kentucky portion of the PMSA.
The City of Covington is home to 43,370 people, per the 2000 Census.
Median resident age: 33.1
Kentucky median age: 35.9
Estimated median income 2007: $35,231
Estimated median income 2007: $30,735
Click here for more Covington Census information
The City of Covington, incorporated in 1815, originally encompassed about 150 acres. During the 19th century, the city prospered and gained in population and land area. It became a popular residential location for German and Dutch immigrants, as well as Cincinnati business people.
During this same period of time, the city of Cincinnati was developing even more rapidly. Cincinnati businesses took advantage of the curvature of the river which made it easier to land a boat on the northern banks. This aided in the growth of industrial and commerical businesses.
Today, Covington has persuaded several businesses to locate or relocate within the city. In the 1980s, the development of an industrial park in South Covington brought businesses such as Atkins & Pearce, Esco Corp., White Castle Distribution Center, and Fidelity Investments. This created more than 2,000 new jobs in the city.
The RiverCenter Complex, a riverfront development project, has added the Embassy Suites Hotel, Marriott Hotel, and the Courtyard by Marriott; as well as over a dozen new businesses including Ashland Oil, to the Class A office complex. This has also brought with it over 1,000 new jobs within the service sector.
In 1814, John Gano, Richard Gano, and Thomas Carneal purchased 150 acres on the west side of the Licking River at "the Point" with the Ohio River from Thomas Kennedy for $50,000. The men named their new riverfront enterprise the "Covington Company." The name was chosen to honor of their friend, General Leonard Covington, an American officerÂ killed in the War of 1812.
The investors prepared a plat for the new city approximately five blocks wide by five blocks deep. The platted streets lined up with the streets of Cincinnati across the Ohio River, symbolically tying the future of the fledgling city to its larger neighbor to the north. The first five streets were named for Kentucky's first five governors: Shelby, Garrard, Greenup, Scott, and Madison.
In February 1815, the Kentucky General Assembly incorporated the land as the town of Covington. At the time of its incorporation, Covington and all of today's Kenton County was a part of Campbell County. Shortly after incorporation, investors began selling lots for the new city for $385 per lot. However, for the next 15 years, lot sales were slow and disappointing. By 1830, the young city had a population of only 715 and lot prices were selling for half their original value in 1815.